The Current Digest of the Russian Press (formerly The Current Digest of the Post-Soviet Press) is a leading publication in the field of Soviet/Russian area studies. Each week, it presents a selection of Russian-language press materials, carefully translated into English. Intended for use in teaching and research, the translations are thus presented as documentary materials without elaboration or commentary, and state the opinions and views of the original authors, not the publishers of the journal.
This unique publication, originally titled The Current Digest of the Soviet Press and later The Current Digest of the Post-Soviet Press, was established during the Cold War, when Joseph Stalin was still in charge and the USSR was essentially inaccessible to the rest of the world. The Current Digest was an indispensable resource for news from the Soviet Union and provided access to key documents, including:
- all significant speeches by Soviet leaders;
- meetings of all Party Congresses, including the 1956 20th Party Congress and Khrushchev's "secret speech" denouncing the Stalinist "cult of personality";
- all five-year plans and reports on plan fulfillment;
- all important Soviet laws, including initial drafts, official public discussions of drafts, and final versions as adopted by the USSR Supreme Soviet;
- major Soviet treaties, including arms-control treaties, and all significant foreign policy developments
The Current Digest continues to provide comprehensive coverage of developments in post-Soviet Russia. With clearly delineated subject headings, the Current Digest covers such key topics as economics, politics and political reform, foreign policy, international affairs, legal reform, public health, and other social, cultural and legal issues.
The complete online archive of The Current Digest of the Russian Press (1949-present) is available from East View - please inquire for details. Furthermore, a complete set of bound volumes of The Current Digest of the (Post-)Soviet Press (1949-2010) is available for purchase. In addition to the complete set, limited numbers of bound volumes for select years are available for individual purchase. Please inquire for pricing and availability.